A criminal lawyer is an attorney who has the legal knowledge, is skilled and has a vast amount of experience in defending individuals who have been charged with a felony crime such as burglary, assault, driving under the influence and a wide range of other crimes. If you are in need of the services of a or any of the surrounding communities, the Law Office of Gary M. Abrams can help.
Unsure of what to do if you’ve been charged with a crime, or how to go about qualifying and hiring a criminal lawyer in Leominster, Massachusetts or anywhere else in Massachusetts? Here are some questions to get answered that will help you find a criminal lawyer, also known as a criminal defense attorney:
- How long have you been practicing criminal law?
- How often do you appear in the courthouse where my case will be handled?
- Do you frequently negotiate plea agreements with the prosecutor’s office?
- How would you describe your relationship with the prosecutor’s office?
- How often do your clients go to trial?
- How familiar are you with the charges against me?
- What percentage of your practice is in representing clients with similar charges?
If a particular criminal lawyer looks appropriate and promising, it’s important to determine how he or she will assess your case and how it will be handled:
- What are my legal options?
- Would you recommend a guilty plea, a plea agreement, or a trial?
- What works in my favor?
- What potential problems do you see?
- What can I expect at the different stages including arraignment, filing of motions, motions hearing, disposition, and the trial?
Finally, but just as important has how a criminal lawyer will handle your case, is how he or she gets paid:
- Do you charge an hourly rate or a flat fee?
- If you charge by the hour, what is your rate? Will I have to pay a retainer fee? How will that work?
- If you charge a flat fee, what is it? What does and doesn’t it include? Is it refundable? Do I have to pay it all up front?
- What other expenses would I have to pay outside of your fee and can you estimate them?
Hiring a criminal lawyer in Leominster, Massachusetts does not have to be a daunting task, especially if you ask the right questions up front. For more information about hiring a Leominster, Massachusetts criminal lawyer, contact the Law Office of Gary M. Abrams. Our free consultation will help you understand the criminal procedure and help you make the right decision when choosing a lawyer that will FIGHT for you and your rights.